Re: how to get dragonfly and freebsd source code

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 10:07:47 -0800 (PST)

:
:I'm reading a book about general architecture of microprocessors, and
:I am reading also a book of UltraSPARC microprocessor. I would like to
:learn how to program a processor, but in C language, and not in
:assembly!
:I would like to port a OS over UltraSPARC, for istance over DragonFly.

    I think you have deciide exactly *what* you want to program.  If
    you want to mess around with hardware, e.g. blinking an LED or driving
    a LED display or something like that, or build a small controller such
    as a thermostat or a hottub controller, then the best way to do that is
    to buy an 80x51 series microcontroller.  Those things are almost
    completely self contained and have a little 8 bit microprocessor on them.
    They can't run anything sophisticated but they're the best way to learn
    how to program a processor.  They are also extremely cheap, in the
    $3-$15 range typically.  And you can very easily breadboard them.

    High-end chips like the ultrasparc, or intel, or amd.... those are very
    complex cpus and frankly you are better off simply writing assembly
    from inside a real operating system, like DragonFly (or any unix) and
    running it that way, instead of on bare hardware.