Re: default Sendmail plus Cyrus-SASL

From: Joseph Garcia <bsd_usr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:53:41 -0700

Okay, so got this to work. Joerg's hint got it to compile and work right. The rest was a matter of configuration.

The goal is to configure Sendmail as a relay client using authentication. It's supposed to accept incoming email then forward it over to a smtp server using authentication (ie. user name and password).

For those if you that want to do this. You need to first figure out what sort of authtentication services your smtp provider requires. Apparently, mine uses LOGIN. To find that out you just telnet to port 25 of their smtp server and type 'ehlo yourdomain.com' and it should spit out some stuff at you and you should pay attention to the "AUTH" line. That will pretty much tell you waht Cyrus plugins you'll need to install.

My first mistake was assuming that all I needed was /usr/pkgsrc/security/cyrus-sasl but I actually also needed the /usr/pkgsrc/security/cy2-login plugin that goes with the above mentioned SASL library. After I installed that, things were cake.

Once you have Cyrus SASL and it's plugins installed you'll need to recomplile Sendmail. I added the following lines to my /etc/defaults/make.conf file.

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/pkg/include/sasl -I/usr/local/include -DSASL -DSTARTTLS
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/pkg/lib -R/usr/pkg/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2 -lssl -lcrypto

NOTE: Joerg helped me with the "-R/usr/pkg/lib" part. Thanks to him, it compiled right and worked.

I followed some tips from a site that I found to compile and reinstall sendmail.

If you need to do this, I suggest taking a look at the following URL for some help:

http://home.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/articles/mailsetup/article.html
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html
http://www.jonfullmer.com/smtpauth/
http://makcoder.sourceforge.net/demo/base64.php (to test out LOGIN)

I pretty much spent a day working this and now I know why there are so many people who hate configuring Sendmail.

Hope this helps anyone out there.

Joey

Joseph Garcia wrote:

Hello all!

I'm trying to setup a sort of relay or gateway using Sendmail. Here's there deal:

Our hosted email provider let's us send them email via SMTP but that only works within the company's domain. If we want to send out of the domain we need to authenticate against their SMTP server.

We have these nifty Canon copiers that can scan and email the document in PDF form. Unfortunately, I can't put a username and password for SMTP authentication. Thefore, I'm thinking I can setup Sendmail to accept email from that Canon copier and then relaty it acting as a client to our hosted email provider's SMTP server.

It seems like I need AUTH to do this which requires Cyrus-SASL. Okay, so I installed Cyrus-SASL from pkgsrc. Now I'm trying to rebuild sendmail to be able to use SASL but I'm getting the following error:

dfly# /etc/rc.d/sendmail forcestart
Starting sendmail.
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.2: Shared object "libsasl2.so.2" not found, required by "sendmail"
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.2: Shared object "libsasl2.so.2" not found, required by "sendmail"

Okay, when I built sendmail I added the following lines to my /etc/defaults/make.conf file:

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/pkg/include/sasl -DSASL
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/pkg/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2

Then I used the following websites as a guide to getting this to work:

http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/index.cgi/smtp-auth.html
http://home.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/articles/mailsetup/article.html

So far I'm stuck with that "libsasl2.so.2" not found, required by "sendmail" error.

Any help would be appreciated. If there's an easier way to do this, such as another program then I'm all ears. I've always known that Sendmail was a bitch to configure.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph Garcia