Re: tty/pty/console wish

From: "Jason Watson" <jwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:33:02 -0400

On 6/4/07, Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@fs.ei.tum.de> wrote:

how about this: use screen as your login shell

That works until you accidently ssh in and are having to hit ctrl-a, a, a, d in order to log out -- and the number of ctrl-a and a keys just gets longer and longer the more boxes you move through.

I have found putting "screen -ls" in some interactive part of your
shell start up does a pretty good job of reminding me to start screen
and letting me know which screens are already running. It is also a
good idea to name your screen sessions if you are going to do that.

If it is just one, long-running, non-interactive command you want to
run, using nohup might be good enough for most situations.

--
Signed,
Jason Watson