Re: weired behavior

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 10:14:17 -0700 (PDT)

:It worked fine until I started xorg -- then time started going fast.  I
:gained an hour in approx five real minutes.

    The video BIOS is messing with the 8254.  It may be worth a shot
    to try to use timer 1 instead of timer 2.

    Try putting this in /boot/loader.conf:

    hw.i8254.walltimer=1

    If this doesn't work, or the machine crashes or fails to operate
    reasonably, you can recover by dropping into the loader (option 6 from
    the menu) and unsetting the variable before booting, then boot
    normally and remove the line.

    I am assuming you are booting without ACPI?  Usually the ACPI timer
    is used if you boot with ACPI and this problem doesn't occur.  If ACPI
    doesn't work for you it may still be possible to boot with ACPI just
    to get at the timer, but with most of the features disabled.  'man acpi'
    tells you how to disable certain features.

					<dillon@backplane.com>