Re: Plans for 1.8+ (2.0?)

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:16:05 +0800

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Besides the finalization of vkernel, what else can we expect into 2.0? There are many long-awaited (not only by me) features and additions:
:- ZFS

    I am seriously considering our options with regards to ZFS or a
    ZFS-like filesystem.  We clearly need something to replace UFS,
    but I am a bit worried that porting ZFS would be as much work
    as simply designing a new filesystem from scratch.

    One big advantage of a from-scratch design is that I would be
    able to address the requirements of a clustered operating system
    in addition the requirements of multi-terrabyte storage media.

Tilt.

I thot that was one of the design goals of ZFS?

Would it not make sense also to look again at the pioneering work done in Plan 9?

'Clustering' per se is not new - only the DFLY approach to same.

Bill