Re: Plans for 1.8+ (2.0?)

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:35:42 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, January 31, 2007 3:18 pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     I am seriously considering our options with regards to ZFS or a
>     ZFS-like filesystem.  We clearly need something to replace UFS,
>     but I am a bit worried that porting ZFS would be as much work
>     as simply designing a new filesystem from scratch.

One of the reasons people are so excited about ZFS is because it solves
the problem of managing space.  Disk management is and has always been a
pain in the rear, and ZFS goes a long way toward reducing that.

While constructing a new filesystem will help your goals, it will also
mean that DragonFly users miss out on having all the other advantages that
come with ZFS.  Put another way, we're going to lose planned
functionality.