Re: ipw3945 WLAN driver

From: "Nuno Antunes" <nuno.antunes@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:36:34 +0000

On 11/19/06, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa@gmail.com> wrote:
On 19 Nov 2006 09:15:38 GMT, Johannes Hofmann <Johannes.Hofmann@gmx.de> wrote:
> Thomas Schlesinger <schlesinger@netcologne.de> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 14. November 2006 18:40 schrieb Thomas Schlesinger:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> are there plans to port the ipw3945 driver from OpenBSD in the near future?
> >>
> >> Thomas
> >
> > Ok, I take this as "no" ;-)

I did a preliminary port several months ago:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/wpi.tbz

It is known to crash some place arround firmware loading.  I do not
have hardware to keep going, so if you are interested, you can
continue it or start from scratch (NetBSD's wpi port may be a better
start point than OpenBSD's)

I will be glad to commit it, if you can knock it out :-)

Best Regards,
sephe

Hello Sephe,

I have the hardware and I am willing to test this and try to make it
work on my laptop. I tweaked your preliminary port a bit so that it
compiles on HEAD. The interface is correctly detected when I load the
module. But now I'm stuck. How do I upload the firmware? I've
installed pkgsrc sysutils/wpi-firmware.

I tried the following but I get an error:

class# ipwcontrol wpi0 -f /usr/pkg/libdata/if_wpi/ipw3945.ucode
ipwcontrol: Can't load /usr/pkg/libdata/if_wpi/ipw3945.ucode to
driver: Bad address

Thanks,
Nuno