Re: Performance 4.x vs. 6.x

From: bsdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:30:03 -0400 (EDT)

I have to say that I agree with most of DT comments regarding the state of
FreeBSD5+, after having watched the progress (or lack there of) for over
three years.

<snip>?Maybe its just time for the entire FreeBSD team
to come out of its world of delusion and come to
terms with what every real-life user of FreeBSD
knows: In how ever many years of development,
there is still no good reason to use anything
other than FreeBSD 4.x except that 4.x doesn't
support a lot of newer harder.?
<snip>

It seems that the complexity (and pollution) of the code base has
increased with each release. With this the developers that are able to
track down and fix bugs seem ?few and far between? with the overall
complexity of the code base (the ULE scheduler, current problems with the
threading model, etc). I wish that 4.X was still supported in a way too,
until DF had a fully threaded network stack (that does seem to be a ways
off yet). When this is accomplished, there probably will not be much
reason to run any of the other flavors of BSD like DT mentioned?.

  My day job I am involved with sys admin and dB admin on large
multiprocessor HPUX systems running 11.11 and Oracle 10gR2. I am very
impressed with the amount of work that has been done with DF given the
relatively few number of developers, and resources compared to FreeBSD.
I look forward to what will be accomplished in the next year with great
anticipation!

Glenn