Re: Network Slowdowns?

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:32:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, October 8, 2006 1:39 pm, Jonas Trollvik wrote:

>> > We *always* replace 3Com on general principal when encountered, and
>> > at our own (not client) expense. Not about right or wrong, its about
>> > what works *always* and what doesn't always work.
>>
>> Odd, we do the exact opposite, replacing all non-3Com NICs we come
>> across with 3Com NICs, for the exact same reason you do:  to get
>> something that we know works, and works reliably.  :)

At a prior job I had, we'd buy large quantities of (mostly PCI) network
cards and hand them out with cable modem installation, at probably the
rate of 20-30 a week.

We started with 3Com cards, and then switched to RealTek, because they
were a third of the price, and (totally counter to my expectations) had
half the Dead-On-Arrival rate of the 3Coms.  The biggest Realtek issue was
Windows driver quality.