Re: Network Slowdowns?

From: "Jonas Trollvik" <jontro@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:26:32 +0200

Maybe the tx start threshold should be increased to 240 per default
for the xl driver.
I get this log message for both my two xl cards (internal network and
vdsl network) and it always stops at 240.
-Jonas

On 10/7/06, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07 Oct 2006 07:39:21 GMT, Jamie <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In <200610062026.k96KQ8KU060912@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> mentions: >    There are a couple of possibilities.  One is that the driver is broken
> >    or can't handle that particular card or motherboard device.  Typically
> >    when that happens you get 'watchdog timeout' messages on the console.
> >    Run 'dmesg' to see if you get any such messages.
>
> Nope, no watchdog messages.
>
> I do get several of these though:
>
> xl0: transmission error: 90
> xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 120 bytes

From 3com's DS, 0x90 means your host's feeding packets rate is too low.

How many times you have seen this error? Let's take it as N

line 433 in /usr/src/sys/dev/netif/xl/if_xlreg.h
#define XL_MIN_FRAMELEN 60

Say N == 3, then change above line to (3 + 1) * 60, i.e.
#define XL_MIN_FRAMELEN 240

But keep it less then 1540

See whether the problem still plagues you

Best Regards,
sephe

--
Live Free or Die