Re: mailserver using dfbsd

From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:36:14 +0200

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 09:03:56AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Hi,
> :
> :I'm going to install dragonflybsd on two mail server proxies: primary and secondary MX with milter-greylist on.
> :I need to share greylist data on both of them, I can do it using a dbms and I'll modify milter source code to store
> :such data in dbms instead RAM.
> :
> :Are there more efficient features on dfbsd to share (or exchange) such greylist data from primary and secondary host?
> :
> :
> :Best regards,            \fer
> :--
> :NonSoLoSoft - http://www.nonsolosoft.com/
>
>     I don't think you can safely update a dbms database file shared via NFS,
>     if that's what you intend to do.
>
>     What I recommend is that you simply make one machine the master and have
>     a cron job on the secondary machinepull the greylist from the primary
>     machine once an hour.  Something like (in csh)
>
>     (cron job script on secondary machine)
>
>     #!/bin/csh
>     rm -f greylist.new
>     fetch -q -o greylist.new ftp://primary.machine/hidden-location-of-greylist
> 			    (or http://)
>     if ( $status == 0 ) then
> 	mv -f greylist.new greylist.db
> 	# be quiet if everything succeeded so no cron mail is generated
>     else
> 	echo "Secondary machine unable to pull greylist from primary machine"
>     endif

Due do the dynamic nature of grey-listing, I don't think this "hourly sync"
is a good idea.

There are several grey-listing implementations that can use a networked
RDBMS like MySQL or PostgreSQL.  Run an *SQL server on either host (or
on a dedicated third one) and let both mailservers use/maintain the same
database over the network.

	Geert