Re: NFS locking issues? (where to go for info?)

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:00:13 -0700 (PDT)

:Has anyone had much success with NFS locking? (where would one
:go if they wanted to understand the details?)
:
:I've read that it's been fixed for some time, that I need to run
:rpc.statd and rpc.lockd (and in fact, mutt complains unless I run
:these) I'm assuming 'statd' locks the local file and lockd talks
:to statd when a remote wants a lock?

    It isn't going to work.  The locks will be honored locally but we
    do not have a working lockd, and even FreeBSD which has spent a lot
    of time trying to get a working lockd doesn't have one that is
    reliable.   NFS locking in general is not reliable and I would not
    recommend that anyone try to do it.

    Ultimately we will be able to support locking across DragonFly boxes
    as part of our clustering work, but I really doubt we will ever have
    reliable NFS locking across disparate operating systems.