Re: shutdown on BSD and Linux

From: Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:09:51 +0200

On 2006-09-07 17:50, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Thu, September 7, 2006 6:28 am, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

BTW - the poweroff on my laptop, with Dragonfly and FreeBSD (last I
checked), is also accompanied by a rather alarming and short-lived
whine, as if a spinning disk or fan was suddenly stopped.  I don't get
this sound with linux or windows.

I had an older system that would do this with the fans; I never saw a negative effect. I assumed it was some setting that was tripped as systems were shutdown, which made the fans react as if the temperature was too high - perhaps the equivalent of a burst of static.

I have a computer on which the fan-controls does not start working until somewhere post BIOS, before that they run for full. Might be something like that but in reverse, the fan-control is disabled and the fans run for full by default. How does the computer sound when it starts?

--
Erik Wikström