Re: Compaq Evo boot problem

From: Haidut <haidut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:08:15 -0400

Yes, FreeBSD 4.x, 5.x and 6.x all produce the same error. NetBSD
installs fine and I haven't tried OpenBSD yet.
I'd gladly try to fix the bug but it's hard to begin when I don't even
know what's causing it. Obviously it's something special to the
Compaq/HP machines since Dfly installed fine on other hardware (Dell,
IBM) but since it occurs at very beginning of the boot process I don't
see how to trace it or debug it.

On 7/28/06, Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Haidut wrote:
> Yes, I followed this article and set everything to MAX PIO. It still
> doesn't work and it's very annoying. BTW, to do give Dfly credit I
> have to say that installing the latest FreeBSD version gives the same
> error.

Does FreeBSD-4 have the same issue?

> This is a really embarassing bug for a modern operating system
> to have. Of all things, the bootloader should be the most stable. And
> the computer is not that old either. It's a P4 and both Linux and
> Windows work on it like charm.

As long as there is nobody finding and fixing the bug, it will stay. That's the concept of open source. So if you find the bug, I will be happy to commit the fix.

cheers
  simon