Cannot mount / when booting from disk

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:05:27 +0200

Hi,

I have recently tried to install Dragonfly-1.6 on a SATA based machine
(Asus A8V-E-SE, VIA 8237 chipset, 74 GB Raptor). Everything went fine
during the installation.

When booting from the hard disk, the kernel is unable to mount /

Here are the most important error messages (recopied by hand, they may not
be completely accurate) :

	Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
	ad4: cannot find label (no disk label)
	ad4s1: cannot find label (no disk label)
	Root mount failed: 22

I then get a "mountroot" prompt. No matter what I enter, the kernel cannot
find the root fs.

The funny part is, when booting from the live CD, the system has no
trouble with the disk whatsoever. I can read the fdisk partition
table on ad4, the label on ad4s1, mount individual partitions (even what
should be / on ad4s1a), list and read files, etc...

I'm honestly puzzled by this.

--
Francois Tigeot