Re: NVIDIA FreeBSD Kernel Feature Requests, interesting info for dfly?

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 03:01:03 +0200

Dimitri Kovalov wrote:
<cut>

You have it backwards. The reason BSD is all 'black boxes' is that it is not competitive or good in the video area. Apple can make it work because they sell the whole box and can control the hardware. But the open-source OSes don't have the resources to support video. It would be a good thing to have a model where vendors could easily take their windows drivers and make them work with BSD as a module. You know that vendors will make drivers for windows, so making it easy for them to port to your OS is good for everytone.

Its time for open sourcers to realize they can't do
everything themselves. I don't care if a driver is binary
if it works. I want to have options.

Dimitri

A binary driver on a system doing public services?
Not on my box! That's about the most important reasons why my windows servers are always in a DMZ and my OSS boxes are mostly not. But for anything else I'll say yes that would be convenient. However I lost the faith in manufactures creating good drivers, whether they are windows or anything else, but I guess that most manufacturers don't want to provide too much specs or source because then it's quite easy to see what a mess they sometimes make of their hardware.

--
mph