DragonflyBSD on the desktop (was: Re: Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system)

From: Thomas Schlesinger <schlesinger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:42:00 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 14. Juni 2006 15:49 schrieb elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > I dispute that. DragonFly will be just as suited for desktops as Linux
> > is. Simply because X works and desktop environments work on it.
>
> I really wish that. However, in the near coming days, noone will use
> DragonFly on desktop simply because Linux and FreeBSD will have OpenGL
> accelerated X for which you need 3rd party drivers. I briefly installed
> KDE on FreeBSD without nvidia drivers. It was ok, but GUI was slow,
> redrawing windows was slow(same on DragonFly), then I installed nvidia
> drivers and now it's very smooth, ready for desktop use. Sadly, there
> won't be nvidia drivers for DragonFly any time soon.

Well, I use KDE on Dragonfly, with an ATI Mobility X600 on my notebook and a
Nvidia card on my desktop. I wouldn't say, it feels slow compared to Linux,
but that may be a subjective thing. But I agree, that OpenGL could become
more important, when KDE4 will arrive next year with new eyecandy.

For me, the lack of (building) desktop apps I want to use in pkgsrc are a
greater problem.

Thomas