Re: Replacing Sendmail with Postfix in the base system

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:13:50 +0200

Oliver Fromme wrote:
<cut>

HOWEVER: If someone wants to remove the MTA entirely from the base system (i.e. not replacing it with another one), then I support that. It should be possible to move sendmail to pkgsrc (I think it's already there), and only leave a simple local delivery agent in the base system (something like mail.local), so delivery of mails from local cron jobs will work if no real MTA -- be it sendmail, postfix, exim, whatever -- has been installed from pkgsrc. If locally generated mails need to be sent to a mail server (this is what sendmail calls a "null client"), no fully-fledged MTA is required either: a simple and secure SMTP client (such as ssmtp) can be used.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Best regards
   Oliver

Although I really like sendmail, I would agree with this.

--
mph