Re: Any serious production servers yet?

From: Erik Wikström <erik-wikstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 20:02:15 +0200

On 2006-06-01 18:46, Danial Thom wrote:

--- Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Danial Thom wrote:
> Surely it makes sense to begin developing O/S
> applications (which is what I need to do),
> however I need an OS that is production
ready,
> even if its not as good as its going to be,
> because I can't reasonably test the
performance
> of an application on an OS that can't handle
> production loads.

*sigh*

Is this going to be another of those
half-yearly "Danial vs. the rest" threads?

How about this: You restrain yourself from
stealing people's time with your annoying discussion for discussion's sake
and I promise to get back to you in personal email as soon as I think
that DragonFly has reached the point where it could be interesting to you?

Sascha

I don't see that its me "vs" anything. I have to chose an MP OS for a big project and I just asked if the project is production-ready yet, and instead of getting an answer, I get a lot of pointers to personal web pages and routers that aren't even pushing a T1. A simple answer like "No, DFLY isn't ready for prime time yet, and we don't expect it will be until Sept '07". would have avoided wasting your time.

Well, the definition of production-ready differs with the needs of the production server. You've got lots of examples of DF being used in production but none of them happens to be the kind of environment that you'll use. Regardless of the type of services one would use an OS for there's only one reliable way to determine if a particular solution is the one you want or not, and that is testing it yourself under the same conditions that it will encounter in production.

In short the only way to know is to test it yourself. To ask if someone has done X using Y and Z under conditions A, B and C is often pointless since no setup or requirement is identical to another unless it's very simple.

Erik Wikström
--
 "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
 telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure