Re: [OT] C pointers: BSD versus Linux?

From: Jason Watson <jwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:44:52 -0500

On May 31, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

I can not agree with this. BSD malloc() (or better: free()) is much more conservative, and lately our default even changed to abort on double free()s. A lot of buggy software has double free() s and I think glibc doesn't even complain per default.

Simon appears to be correct, and I appear to be wrong. It seems that the BSD malloc/free stuff changed at some point. Excerpt from the malloc man page on a 6.1 FreeBSD install:

"A side effect of this architecture is that many minor transgressions on
the interface which would traditionally not be detected are in fact
detected. As a result, programs that have been running happily for years
may suddenly start to complain loudly, when linked with this allocation
implementation."

Many apologies for passing along inaccurate information. Anyway know when this changed?

Signed,
Jason Watson.