Re: Any serious production servers yet?

From: Danial Thom <danial_thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:07:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Kevin L. Kane" <kevin.kane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >     So, 2-3 years tops, and there won't be
> any more single-core offerings
> >     from AMD or Intel.  Probably not even for
> laptops.
>
> This is really already happening, ALL of
> Apple's new latops are dual
> core only and the only single core Intel based
> mac is the cheapest
> Mini.

Apple is not really a great example, as they
control the entire animal, and there's more
margin in the high end.

Here's a question for Matt, will dual-core
designed chips (as opposed to chips with 2
independent cores on once chip) be used on an UP
OS as a single core? Say if I wanted to use a
dual-core chip on Freebsd 4.x in UP mode since
SMP sucks wind? Or do the cores designed as
dual-core with the shared caches require that
both be used?

DT