Re: Shutdown

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+dfly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:55:30 +0900

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 12:34:38PM +0200, Sascha Wildner wrote:
> Thomas Schlesinger wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >when I shutdown my notebook (ASUS V6800), I get a message to power it of
> >on console, but it doesn't happen "automagically" as in Linux. I believe
> >to remember, that I've read somewhere something about an sysctl switch
> >which enables this function, but I can't find it again. I'm not sure, it
> >was DFly related, it could also be FBSD related.
>
> How do you shutdown? 'shutdown -p now' should do the trick.

Some hardware needs
  sysctl hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff=1

to turn the system into legacy mode before the shutdown command, or else
the machine locks up instead of powering down.  My SiS-based motherboard
has this issue.  I tried to see what was happening before, but failed.
If you spread printf()'s in AcpiEnterSleepState(), you'll find your machine
locks up after one of calls to AcpiHwRegisterWrite().

FreeBSD no longer has this knob, but I've seen a few people on
freebsd-acpi list who claim that they still need it on their hardware.
Not sure if it's solved now.