Re: Serious question: Is DragonFly's smp ISP-production-ready?

From: "Vlad GALU" <vladgalu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 00:16:17 +0300

On 4/19/06, Tomaž Borštnar <tomaz.borstnar@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]

    I'm sorry for chiming in here, but I feel I should say this:

    - I like DFly's SMP approach better
    - various pieces of hardware work a bit better (read: they work)
under FreeBSD due to more active development and newer commits. These
are small issues such as WPA (which is about to be fixed these days)
for wireless, better DMA handling for various IDE chipsets (I'm sure
that these would also be easy to fix with small commits in various .h
files).
    - threading is still an open subject. I asked a question about
this on the mailing list a few days ago and David Xu said he was
working on it. I have a few things that would benefit from threading
which forces me to stick to FreeBSD for the time being (with libthr,
by the way :)
    - I like the idea of using pkgsrc better, because it targets a
much broader user base, so issues are more promptly brought to
commiters' attention and dealt with.
    - I like Matt's reactions better (no, this is not asskissing, just
an impression) - he seems to care more for his public's reactions and
is more willing to listen to new ideas. This doesn't affect the
projects' leadership at all, it seems, which is great.

     I know I didn't make much sense, but bottom line, DFly is
certainly the platform of choice for me, once it has combed a few
minor things. I'm one of the anxious users out there :) I'd love to
spend more time hacking on it and submitting patches, but
unfortunately my customers pay for other things :(

--
If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.