Re: [OT] Disk sector size

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Cuthbert <dacut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:13:45 -0800

Matthew Dillon wrote:
Most of the arguments quoted are incorrect. The one about the ECC length is correct, but the inter-sector gap argument doesn't apply
to most modern drives because they already do full-track reads and
writes, without gaps between sectors.

Yeah, I'm a bit puzzled by this, too. I think they meant that drivers and firmware will need to deal with 1/8th of the number of blocks. I could argue either way whether this is that big of a deal -- on the one hand, silicon is still many times faster than drives; on the other, linear bit density increases faster than silicon.