Re: NVIDIA driver

From: Joseph Garcia <bsd_usr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:57:33 -0800

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

x.org's list is probably the best resource to look at, as that is what the list would follow - the NVIDIA binary driver is a special case.

If you want to put it on a wiki: http://wiki.dragonflybsd.org/ ?

That list will work only if all the cards listed work (read: provide hardware 3D rendering since that's what we're concerned with here) under DragonFlyBSD.

Do we know that all the card listed have 3D support under BSD? If so, then great we can use that list. Otherwise, then we have to create a list of our own (maybe, on the wiki as other's have mentioned) listing the cards that have been known to provide hardware 3D rendering under DragonFlyBSD.

I recently got a Dell Latitude C600 series notebook up and running with hardware 3D rendering. It's got a RADEON 7500 Mobile (M7) graphics chip in it. I have been playing Quake3 Area quite nicely on it in 1024x768 resolution. It's pretty neat.

The only bad news is that the Latitude is not running DragonFlyBSD. It's running FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE. This is because I had issues with DragonFlyBSD on this notebook. Anyway, this got me more interested in 3D hardware acceleration and I thought I'd chime in on the subject.

Joseph