"UNIX" (was: (u)ral driver)

From: Oliver Fromme <check+iuryrd00rsoygjej@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Feb 2006 10:55:44 GMT

Chris Rawnsley <rawprawns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > I am fairly new to DragonFlyBSD and Unix's (or is it better to say
 > "*nix's"? :O Trademark issues!!) in general.

Off-topic, but since you asked ...

The Open Group, who is currently the owner of the "UNIX"
trademark, has published quite specific instructions how
to spell their trademark.  "Unix" and "*NIX" are both
wrong and disallowed by the trademark owner.  It is
spelled "UNIX", with all uppercase letters, and it is
not possible to form a plural like "UNIX's".  If you
need to refer to multiple of them, you can write "UNIX
systems" or something similar.

For details see http://www.opengroup.org/tm-guidelines.htm

I personally know a company who was in legal trouble with
The Open Group because of wrong usage of the trademark,
therefore I tend to be careful with such things.

Best regards
   Oliver