Re: NVIDIA driver

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 02:54:03 +0100

On 16.02.2006, at 01:42, Danial Thom wrote:
So. What are those of us with Nvidia cards to
do? Install a different
video card?

- use text console or - use xorg with vesa or nv driver

- don't use 3d accellerated stuff

- reverse engineer the hardware, or better yet,
- get hardware companies to open their specs
I wonder if the open source weenies will ever
figure it out?

They made a business decision that they have more
to lose by opening their interface to cloners
then they have to gain by releasing source and
interface specs. Its not really that complicated.

I wonder how long it will take you to figure out that this isn't our [= society's] problem. I never asked for the raisins they have, I know them. I don't care why they don't open it. I care *that* they don't. This is a problem of our society. As soon as all hardware is closed, all software needs to be closed as well, leading to an all-closed IT infrastructure. This document? You may not open [bad propaganda in there, after all]. This email? You may not encrypt [well of course, but we will still be reading it]. This song? You may not record from the radio/your friends playing the guitar [after all it's copyrighted and you didn't pay the fee for it].

Don't tell me this won't ever happen. It is already happening. Welcome to the world of 22 years ago. For further reference try playing a recent sony audio cd under windows. Soon you will only be able to play discs under windows exclusively...

I don't expect you to agree with me nor do I even expect you to understand what I am writing, but after all there are wise people out there reading the lists.

people, stand in for your right, for your freedom!
  simon