Re: chkconfig missing? and some rc.conf questions/suggestions

From: Bob Bagwill <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:51:17 -0500

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:39:02 +0100, joerg wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 03:15:55PM -0500, Bob Bagwill wrote:
>> 1) Is there any particular reason DBSD doesn't have a chkconfig script,
>> like NetBSD?
>
> ... which is not installed by default.

So it's not useful enough to install?

>> 2) How about having a copy of the relevant /etc/rc.d/foo script in
>> /usr/src/usr.sbin/foo/, to keep related code together?
>
> Why do you keeping the few daemons together with the corresponding rc
> script is better than keeping the rc scripts together as reflected by
> the directory structure?

For the same reason that man pages are kept in the same directory as
the source?

> Also keep in mind that not every rc script has a corresponding daemon.

Does every deamon have an rc script?  Is there any way of telling, besides
comparing /etc/rc.d/* to /usr/sbin/* ?  Is there a way of enumerating all
the daemons on the system (including ones from pkgsrc)?

>> 3) Would it be possible to establish some conventions so that rc.conf(5)
>> could be generated automatically?
>
> What kind of convention prevents you from that?
> Many parts of rc.conf are similiar enough so that shouldn't be such a
> big deal.

Off hand, I don't see any easy way to extract tweakable variables from
the source or rc.d/* files.

>> 4) How do new entries get in /etc/defaults/rc.conf?
>
> They do get added to src/etc/defaults/rc.conf when a new script is added to
> src/etc/rc.d.
>
>> 5) How come it's enable_quotas instead of quotas_enable?
>
> History...

Thanks for your answers.
--
Bob