Re: pkg_chk replacement?

From: joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:02:47 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:20:57AM +0100, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> The main problem with it is it deinstalles all upgrade candidates
> before upgrading them.
> So running pkg_chk -uvk will remove a bunch of packages first leaving
> the server pretty much crippled for the time of compilation.

Hm. You mean like building them as binary packages on a different system
/ in a jail / chroot first and update them via binary packages on the
server? Seriously, I don't want any unnecessary downtime on my servers
and I don't want to take unnecessary risks like hoping replacing updates
does the right thing. While pkg_comp hsa not been ported yet, setting up
a jail is damn easy if you follow the letters in jail(8).

Joerg