Re: Would DF welcome a phpbb forum?

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:51:24 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, January 17, 2006 5:03 am, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> 	<nitpick)USENET has been around since 1980 - NNTP is just a
> transport protocol for it</nitpick>

How was the material in USENET slung around before there was NNTP?

> 	<thought>If a web forum is so vital (in some minds[1]) for being
> trendy it's not hard to write a web based threaded news reader with PHP
> or mod_perl or similar - there might even be one available off the shelf
> :)
> This would seem to me to be a more useful thing for the OP to do than
> setting up a disconnected forum which if succesful may just cause people
> to need to track *both*.

http://www.gmane.org/ is one example.  Hmm...

Mail forums are nice for immediate issues, but there also needs to be a
resource for people that aren't continually reading the mail.  (plug) This
is why I have the DragonFly BSD Log (
http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog ) and why there's a searchable mail
archive ( http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive ).

If we didn't have the mailing lists, a bulletin board system would be
handy - however, with the current size of the user base, there isn't
enough "overflow".  I haven't seen a lot of BB traffic at bsdforums.org or
gobsd.org, for instance.  If we could combine the mail content and BB
interface, that's be great, since I think it's the interface in which the
original poster is interested.