Re: Qmail install success on 1.4; possible package bug?

From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:24:46 -0500

Tim Darby wrote:

Thanks, I got sidetracked with another project and just now getting back to Qmail on DFly. It appears that root, which is what this runs under, already has those directories in its path, so I don't think that's the issue. I'm not very up on RC scripts but I found that the following modification to the svscan.sh that came with the package worked:

From:
exec /bin/csh -cf '/usr/pkg/bin/svscan /var/spool/service &'

exec env PATH=/usr/pkg/bin:$PATH /bin/csh -cf '/usr/pkg/bin/svscan /var/spool/service &'

If this is not the best way to do fix this, I'd like to know, especially if there's a preferred DFly way of doing it.

A pkgsrc developer brought your message to my attention. I maintain the djbware in pkgsrc and would like to help.

How are you installing qmail? There's a fairly good package (if I do say so myself :-) in pkgsrc/mail/qmail that I've been happily using for years.

Does DragonFly have a NetBSD-derived /etc/rc.d subsystem? If so, I highly recommend not using svscan and /service to run qmail. Instead, try pkgsrc/mail/qmail-run, which makes qmail feel like an ordinary BSD-style daemon, complete with rc.d scripts, knobs in /etc/rc.conf, etc. Interesting a scheme though /service is, I can't imagine going back to it.

I'm not subscribed to this list; please Cc me on any replies.

- Amitai