Re: pkgsrc build from source issue?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:06:04 -0800 (PST)

:It looks like there's 3 scenarios:
:
:Fresh install of 1.4: build as above
:
:Upgrade to 1.4, already using pkgsrc: all set
:
:My scenario: upgrade from 1.2 (ports) to 1.4 (pkgsrc): either remove all
:ports and then build as above, or build the bootstrap with a custom
:pkgdbdir, as the default is the same as that used by ports, and then
:remove ports as needed.
:
:In a perfect world, I'd remove one port at a time and add the pkgsrc
:replacement as it becomes available.  I can't just clear off the machine
:completely of ports, because there aren't pkgsrc equivalents for some of
:the things I need, plus it'd make the machine unuseful for a while.  Argh.
:
:I'm not typing this just to vent - pkgsrc usage needs to be documented
:both on the wiki and in the handbook... which means I need to find some
:time.

    Another scenario... blow away the ports database but don't blow away
    the ports.  Since the ports are installed in /usr/local and pkgsrc
    programs are installed in /usr/pkg, there should theoretically be no
    conflict.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>