usb printer Brother HL-2030 and DragonFly

From: Tomas <antencek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:34:36 +0100

Hello.

There are a lot of experts and maybe one of you had crossed the same problem as I am having now.

I had HP845C USB connected to DragonFly 1.2.6 which worked fine together using CUPS.

Now I upgraded to Brother HL-2030 and I got stuck with configuration.
My printer is recognised by kernel:

ulpt0: Brother HL-2030 series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

. ..but I can not get it to spit out any page.

# cat /etc/fstab > /dev/ulpt0
does exactly nothing, not even a blink of the Ready light on the printer.

I have configured CUPS with instructions from linuxprinting.org for HL-1250, nothing.
Even tried with instructions for the whole procedure for LPR & CUPS from http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/lpr_install.html and then CUPS wrapper etc. etc...nothing.

It creates device /dev/usblp0 -> /dev/usb/lp0.
The cat /etc/fstab > /dev/usblp0 wakes up the printer, but nothing else happens. Using printer in linux X.org with CUPS works like a charm.

I am aware that noone nowhere speaks about this printer being supported by BSD (except MAX OS X), but I was thinking if it works with cups and is recognised by kernel...it should work?

Is there someone who can help me or even point me to the more aproppriate list?

Thank you.

Regards, Tomas