Re: DP performance

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:00:10 -0800 (PST)

:It seems most of the banter for the past few
:months is userland related. What is the state of
:the kernel in terms of DP/MP kernel performance?
:Has any work been done or is DFLY still in the
:cleaning up stages? I'm still desparately seeking
:a good reason to move to Dual-core processors
:
:DT

    It's getting better but there is still a lot of work to do.  After
    this upcoming release (middle of December) I intend to bring in Jeff's
    parallel routing code and make the TCP and UDP protocol threads MP safe.

    Even in its current state (and, in fact, even using the old FreeBSD 4.x
    kernel's), you will reap major benefits on a dual-core cpu.  I have
    been very impressed with AMD's Athlon X2 in these Shuttle XPC boxes,
    despite having to buy a PCI GiGE ethernet card due to motherboard
    issues.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>