Re: Upgrade problem (1.2.x --> 1.3.x)

From: Ochronus <ochronus@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:32:20 +0100

Thank you all for your quick replies,

Meanwhile I found out that I should do some RTFMing ;) so I did make buildkernel and installkernel. Everything went fine, I rebooted, did a make installworld, then rebooted again, just to make sure, and then came chaos :) I got the login prompt, when I entered the username, It said that pam_login was missing, and nothing happened.

Should I rather start with a Preview snapshot iso?

Thanks,
Ochronus

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

in there you will find (among other things)

To upgrade a DragonFly system from sources you run the following sequence:

   cd /usr/src
   make buildworld
   make buildkernel KERNCONF=<KERNELNAME>
   make installkernel KERNCONF=<KERNELNAME>
   make installworld

You will also want to run the 'upgrade' target to upgrade your /etc.  The
upgrade target is aware of stale files created by older DragonFly
installations and should delete them automatically.

UPDATING is slightly wrong there since 'make upgrade' will try to delete all stale files (not only in /etc).

    Personally I think there really should be a 'reboot to single
user mode' instruction between installkernel and installworld.

You will be told to reboot before installworld if necessary (see original posting). Not to single user mode, though.

Sascha