Re: ifconfig(8) syntax intuitiveness

From: Danial Thom <danial_thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:41:28 -0700 (PDT)

--- Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 03:26:17PM +0200, Erik
> P. Skaalerud wrote:
> > Joseph Garcia wrote:
> > >I was using ifconfig when it occurred to me
> how non-intuitive it is
> > >having to use 255.255.255.255 as the netmask
> when adding an address
> > >that is on the same subnet as an address
> already on the interface. For
> > >example, if you already have 192.168.0.1/24
> on fxp0, then you should be
> > >able to add the following address with this
> command:
> > >
> > >	ifconfig fxp0 add 192.168.0.2 netmask
> 255.255.255.0
> > >
> > >instead of:
> > >
> > >	ifconfig fxp0 add 192.168.0.2 netmask
> 255.255.255.255
> > >

> > I second this. I had problems with this when
> I first used IP aliasing on
> > FreeBSD long time ago because I had the wrong
> netmask set. (/24 instead
> > of /32).
>
> It's not that easy. This has nothing to do with
> the interface, but is a
> restriction from the routing stack. Once that
> restriction goes away,
> there's no reason why aliases wouldn't allow it
> too.
>
> > I second your thoughts about "delete". You
> don't delete it, you remove it.
>
> You delete the route.
>
> > I have another suggestion for ifconfig
> aswell. Show netmaskes in human
> > readable format (decimal) instead of HEX. I
> mean, who really thinks
> > about netmasks in HEX formats?
>
> Me. Actually, decimal netmasks are *not* human
> readable, because it is
> much harder to determine the *binary* affect
> they have.
>
> Joerg

My opinion is, if you want to add another syntax,
fine, but leave the old syntax also, because even
though it may not seem intuitive, its familiar.
The same reasoning goes for not changing "grep"
to "search". Linux changed a lot of the ifconfig
syntax and its confusing to new users who are
familiar with something else, and it doesn't
improve the experience. Better to have one
arguably wrong syntax that 4 different ones that
are marginally more correct.

DT