Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

To: Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@xxxxxx>
From: Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:39:05 +0200

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> Long story short: the perfect system doesn't yet exist. OSX .app
> approach comes close but is totally different paradigm and not really
> what a BSD should be after.
While strictly copying MacOSX is not an option, our dream package
management system should allow us to install an application and all its
dependencies in its own directory, possibly with its own config space.
This would be called "standalone" application, maybe.

something like:

/usr/standalone/apache-2/bin ./etc ./lib ...

possibly, an option would have it installed in such a way that it is
ready to be chrooted (maintaining a copy of the necessary system libraries)

This way, it is possible to separate important applications from the
other stuff. Then you gain peace of mind. You can use apps such as
portupgrade -a on the non important stuff and manage each critical app
separatedly, which makes them much less dangerous to upgrade by the way.

Disk space is cheap so I don't mind the duplication of libraries caused
by such a scheme.

And when you want to clean the mess, you just drag the app to the Trash
. .. er ... cp -R <pathtoappdir>.

are views something like this?

please be kind, I am far from understanding the subject

Raphael