Re: attempted upgrade killed vinum

From: Jake Maciejewski <maciejej@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:05:12 -0500

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 09:26 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 01:36:41AM -0500, Jake Maciejewski wrote:
> > I attempted to upgrade my dual PII fileserver from 1.2.0-RELEASE. I
> > wasn't paying attention to my supfile and ended up downloading HEAD.
> > Everything built fine and I installed the kernel. Even if I start in
> > single-user mode, the new kernel panics when I try to load a shell, but
> > a HEAD kernel (even with COMPAT_DF12) isn't supposed to work on my
> > current userland, right?
>
> A new kernel should run with old userland. Can you give me the panic and
> if possible a stack trace? Have you installed a new world or not? If
> not, you can just boot with /kernel.old, maybe even explicitly loading
> /modules.old/vinum.ko to ensure that it gets the corrct version.
>
> Joerg

Thanks for the tip; it was loading the wrong module. If I
load /modules.old/vinum.ko, vinum works.

I didn't install the new world. The HEAD kernel gives me:

mp_lock = 00000001; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
fault virtual address	= 0x36
fault code		= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc02eb888
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xce8d47f0
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xce8d48c4
code segment		= base 0x0,  limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 2 (sh)
 <- SMP: XXX
trap number		= 12

I transcribed the above manually. I don't have any debugging support, so
I'd have to rebuild to provide more information, but it looks like the
same problem Noritoshi Demizu was having.

--
Jake Maciejewski <maciejej@xxxxxxxx>