Re: HEADS UP ON -DEVELOPMENT

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 17:12:11 +0200

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 01:01:07PM +1000, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
> >    Joerg and I have discussed the struct stat and struct dirent changes.
> >    So far the stat work has been committed and the dirent work is still
> >    in progress.  This is work to increase ino_t from 32 to 64 bits and
> >    nlink_t from 16 to 32 bits.
>
> Very good news, but what is the latest news on the ezm3 and fetch issue?
> Has anyone come up with a clean solution (or upstream patch) to resolve
> their silly assumptions?

I have the patches for the libraries, but didn't have time yet to build
a new bootstrap kit.

> >    This means that both the recent work in DEVELOPMENT/HEAD and shortly
> >    upcoming work will require a full recompile of everything... world,
> >    plus any installed programs, and when the dirent changes go in it
> >    will require another full recompile of everything.
>
> Does not recompiling result in a unusable userland, or is COMPAT_DF12 a
> good safety net until everything is recompiled? Don't suppose anyone can
> think of a sure-fire way to recompile all packages from pkgsrc?

The problem is that we don't want to rebump all shared libraries. I did
bump *libc* once more, to avoid problems for those who listened to the
warnings. If you are updating between the stat and the dirent change,
you can run into some troubles. COMPAT_DF12 is necessary to allow the
new kernel to be used with the old world.

Joerg