Re: Dragonfly BSD kernel model

From: Dragutin Cvetkovic <drazha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 17:29:08 +0100

Sascha Wildner wrote:

Dragutin Cvetkovic wrote:

Another source, the Wikipedia uses a similiar split, although they are mentioning Exokernel models as well.

I was wondering, apart from the difference of opinion about thread handling BSD should have, is this project going to address the kernel model issue as well?

According to you, is the BSD kernel monolithic, layered or client\server (microkernel) oriented?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonFly_BSD#Kernel_architecture.

Sascha

I have read through the article and I am left with a question:
In what way will the Dragonfly BSD be a hybrid of monolithic and microkernel model?
Although this question seems to be answered in the text, it would be nice to have a black-and-white list, explanation, with a number of diagrams explaining the exact intended architecture of the kernel.
Which services will stay in the kernel, which will be moved over to the user space? Can we see a more detailed elaboration on the context switching and message passing between the two spaces?
Personally I find the lack of proper development and design documentation a big pitfall for many of the free/opensource projects.

Best regards,
--Dragutin Cvetkovic