Re: the need for raw-network-sockets in BSD nowadays?

From: Hummel Tom <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 15:57:11 +0200

For any protocol that's not handled by the kernel or for sending
self-crafted packets. Ping uses raw sockets, so does nmap.

Ping uses raw sockets? I really doubt that, if not, why do we have any ICMP implementation?

Raw sockets are simply very useful. I like to be able to run nmap against my
systems. I like to be able to build tunnels using userland tools, etc.

I think a good protocol implementation is better than building network tunnels with userland utilities.
Though nmap is a good thing, but should be restricted to 'root' in any case, as is.

In my opinion it's silly to not provide the API anymore, because if you have
root on a *nix box, or administrator privileges on Windows, you still will
have the capability to send all kinds of packets, even if there's no raw
socket API. The only thing ripping out the API does, is coding tools
harder.

administrator on WinNT4 could send all kinds of packtets? i doubt that again, win2000 introduced raw sockets first, before injecting 'any kind' of packet was not possible with onboard windows nt4 tools.