Re: Loader not found

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:05:56 -0800

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:37:17 +0800
Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris Pressey wrote:
>
> *SNIP*
>
> > I think Sam is referring to a system like FreeBSD where the CD boots
> > into a FreeBSD kernel, but is not a full-fledged FreeBSD system with
> > /bin, /etc, /usr, etc.
>
> Odd position, IMNSHO.

Not if you're FreeBSD :)  Scott Long has publically expressed interest
in the installer; this is the #1 obstacle to its adoption there.  (It's
already been shown, thanks to FreeSBIE, that it works when running from
a FreeBSD LiveCD.)

Along similar lines, and AFAICT, the #1 obstacle to FreeBSD adopting a
LiveCD as its main distribution medium is a continuing desire to have a
floppy-based install.  But I dunno, there might be other reasons.

A 'LiveFloppy' system would be, well, a whooooooooole lotta diskettes
(*flashback to several unsuccessful attempts at installing OS/2 Warp*)

:)

-Chris