Re: GENERIC - Raising the bar

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 05:27:25 +0800

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 04:44:20AM +0800, Bill Hacker wrote:

*SNIP*

that's the timer code and that's the ISA-only support. I know that
both work at least on a i486 I acquired just for testing.

Have a 386 20 MHz double-sigma somewhere - only kept 'coz the faithful little beast ran for six months, (not 24 x7!) at 40 MHz w/o a heat-sink...

Went through over ten gallons of technical grade isopropanol coolant, though... :-)
(stuff is wickedly hygroscopic..)

Since ISA is needed for a current system anyway, there's no pressing reason to generally make this system not work by default.

ACK. Embedded in silicon, more's the pity...

A completely
different thing is removing unmaintained drivers for ancient hardware,
e.g. the pre-newpcm sound drivers. Since noone said something in favour
for them, they will be removed soon.

Could perhaps do the same for whole generations of ISA-bus only SCSI, etc.
The bus may live on in the ~bridge, but rare to find an external socket or a need
for the older gear this year or in the future, even counting PCMCIA/cardbus.

- and - separate topic - but I would guess full 80% of the ports tree wouldn't be
missed. If only we knew *which* 80% w/o a war .....

But that, at least, is a 'labor of love' for those maintainers fond of a given port.
Not so much a load on project core.

Seems to be 'on track'.

NNNN