Re: Backporting DFly patches to FreeBSD?

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 02:48:34 +0800

Freddie Cash wrote:

On February 26, 2005 11:12 am, EM1897@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 2/26/2005 1:40:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, Tom

Hummel <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

*SNIP*

[This is for Tom, who's message I deleted.]

I don't have the reference handy at the moment, but there was an article about a network test where FreeBSD was able to process and route 1 million IP packets per second. Linux on the same hardware was only able to process approx. one hundred thousand IP packets per second.

The article was posted to OSNews.com, Slashdot.org, and BSDForums.org. I'll post the link once I find it again.

Hope that will be proof enough for your, for the above situation. :)

The relative advantages and disadvantages of *BSD and Linux are legion, certainly worthy
of frequent - and hopefully, cool-headed and objective - comparison. <g>

But there are scores, if not hundreds, of other, more focussed, venues for that.

A look, now and then, at a good idea is one thing - and may spark a better idea here.

Worthwhile.

But if we get into much more of a BSD/Linux discussion than that,
we are just creating distractions for DragonFly's most precious resource...
. ..the developers.

And in any case, Linux hasn't a lot to do with backporting patches to other BSD's

Bill