pkgsrc notes

From: "Joshua Coombs" <jcoombs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:48:38 -0500

Banging on a fresh install of DF, and coming from FreeBSD 4.x am finding it
nice and familiar.  Its nice sitting down to a new os and knowing everything
is precisely where you expect it.

Given the wide range of package system options, I opted for pkgsrc from
NetBSD to start fleshing this box out.  I rejected ports/df-ports as the
idea of a setup that could confuse portupgrade scares me...

So, pkgsrc installed cleanly, as did pkg_chk.  Turns out pkg_chk hardcodes
the location of the pkgdb, causing all sorts of fun if you use a custom
location.  Easy edit and fix, I've filed a PR to get a more appropriate fix
implimented officially.

Next up, apache.  After the build failing a couple times, I found the post
in here on tweaking Configure and GuessOS, got that installed and working.
Hopefully there is already a bug/PR filed with them to get that straightened
out.

Now comes the fun one, smokeping.  It appears to install, but attempts to
run break when it tries to include RRD.so.  It throws 'Undefined symbol
"gdFontTiny"' and refuses to budge.  Dunno how to proceed on that one.
RRDTool, gd, and libpng all appear to build and install clean, but one of
the three is not playing by the rules.

Anyone tried getting smokeping to run cleanly under DFly and care to share
tips?

Joshua Coombs