Re: X weirdness

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:30:19 -0800 (PST)

    I'm going to bump up adding support for a different hardware timer,
    i.e. the ACPI timer.  This whole timer1/timer2 issue is just creating
    too much annoyance for everyone.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:Hi gents,
:
:About a month ago I've had loads of problems with XFree86/Xorg.
:Several people in IRC offered help and suggestions what to try.
:
:The box got stuck nearly always while starting X. When it came through
:the initialization occasionally (and ramdomly to me), switching VT's
:froze the machine as well. The only one solution in both situtations
:was a cold reboot.
:
:Since I've used the TIMER_USE_1 option in the kernel, the problems
:vanished. I don't know in what way this setting affects X but this way
:it works.
:I've verified the problem hasn't disappeared meanwhile by loading a
:GENERIC kernel yesterday and experiencing the same glitches as prior
:to changing the timer option.
:
:/Markus