Re: cvsweb and checkout

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:21:35 -0800 (PST)

:In setting up a pository to include cvsweb access, I've
:discovered the apache process requires write access to the
:CVSROOT.
:
:I'm not sure why "download" _requires_ a cvs checkout, and
:I have a hard time imaging how it would be useful (for one,
:there is no checkin option that I can find). I would really
:prefer to give cvsweb readonly access to the CVSROOT. Is
:there a way for that?
:
:// George
:--
:George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
:http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx

    It shouldn't need write access to the repository.  Make sure your
    /usr/local/etc/cvsweb.conf file properly adds the -R to cvs_options.

    This will work if your system is running a BSD (e.g. DragonFly, FreeBSD,
    NetBSD, OpenBSD).  If it is running something else, linux Solaris or
    Linux, the cvs you have installed might not have the -R option available.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

. ..
# Options to pass to cvs(1).
# For cvs versions prior to 1.11, the '-l' option doesn't work; If you want
# working checkouts with an older cvs version, you'll have to make sure that
# the cvsweb user can read and write to CVSROOT/history.
@cvs_options = qw(-nf);

push @cvs_options, '-R' if ($uname eq 'FreeBSD' || $uname eq 'DragonFly' || $uname eq 'OpenBSD');
push @cvs_options, '-u' if ($uname eq 'NetBSD');

#      Only FreeBSD's and OpenBSD's cvs(1) supports -R (read only access
#      mode) option, which considerably speeds up checkouts over NFS.
#      A similar effect is provided by -u on NetBSD.
. ..