Re: bootloader reboots

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mark Cullen <mark.cullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:57:28 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:I just tried to swap the disks around. The default boot loader F1 BSD :thing just beeped at me, so I swapped back and installed GAG. This :managed to get a little further. I couldn't really see what was written :as it rebooted too quick, but it didn't get as far as the ASCII menu. It :looked like it might have been the first two lines getting up to that :menu, whatever they say.
:
:What would be the possible causes of this? Is it correctable somehow?
:--

A beep usually means that boot0 cannot find a valid secondary boot
sector in the slice. This is often due to CHS vs LBA confusion. I
usually tell the BIOS to use LBA mode and use boot0cfg (when using the DragonFly boot0) to turn on packet mode.

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That's probably it then. So I should force it to LBA mode in the other machines BIOS (if I can, it's an old machine) and I should run boot0cfg again with packet mode on?

--
Internet Explorer? Try FireFox at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Outlook Express? Try ThunderBird at http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/