Re: a little (folish?) idea

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:04:58 +0200

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:27:20 +0200, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:

Thank you for your reply/time, I wonder if there would be a other more elegant way to notify a program when a certain (text)file is changed. Doing it the way that it happens immediately but without burden on the system, or is this a technical paradox?

You can use kqueue for this, it provides a low level engine to implement
e.g. devel/fam. It still requires that you have a list of all files you
want to be informed about and likely also the directories. The later might
change in the future by allowing you to capture namespace changes.

That would approach the basics enough indeed, I'm sure gonna play with it in the near future, thanks!

--
mph