Re: USB patches

From: Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:49:06 +0300

Michael Neumann wrote:
> A patch (usb.diff) that brings in all recent FreeBSD-current USB
> changes (no devices yet).  Tested on two laptops and qemu. All three
> paniced before with the same message as in this thread:
>
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2007-11/msg00034.html
>
> This should be easily reproducable using qemu with -usb and -usbdevice
> options.
>
> After the patches, all three boot up and I can use USB without
> problems. One problem is not yet fixed: When I boot with a USB device
> connected, it sometimes hangs.

Yes, but it seems that you didn't care about changes we have made locally
or brought in from other BSD's? I just checked quickly the change I
remember doing for sure -
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/cvsweb/src/sys/bus/usb/uhub.c.diff?r1=1.19&r2=1.20&f=h

So, before it goes in, it should be _very_ carefully audited, please.

And please stay away from USB serial stuff while going to sync device
drivers. These are in much better shape in DragonFly than in FreeBSD. I
wouldn't mind at all (no, I'd love to see that, really) if someone would
sync ucom(4) itself with FreeBSD, but it would require to merge changes
from tty(4) as well I'm not familiar at all.

> The second diff (freebsd.usb.diff) is against FreeBSD-current as of
> yesterday.

It's a diff between synchronized DragonFly (ie. the first patch applied)
and FreeBSD current?

Good work, anyway.

--
Hasso Tepper